G-dog speaks

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Maybe the whole student thing wasn't a good idea...

So I thought I was a genius for calling the local college to find a guitar player for our wedding ceremony. and he was quite responsive at first. except when i asked him to drop off a demo tape. here was his email, back on Feb 23 when I asked it he was still alive b/c i hadn't seen the demo tape he'd promised me almost 2 weeks before...

"I'm sorry, I've just been so busy! I will really try to get it to you this week. [confirmation of address to deliver the tape to here]"

but i never saw the tape and i was so tired of trying to reach this guy (it had been over a month since I'd first contacted him at that point about playing at the wedding) that i just gave up and went over his head and called a teacher who teaches at that college but also at Pigpen's old high school. So i've booked this professor (and a violinist) and we're all good to go. But here's what was in my email inbox this morning from the student guitarist, and i had to laugh...

" I am so sorry that I have as yet been unable to procure the demo tape you requested. Also, there has been a change in my summer plans which has made it impossible for me to play at your wedding. However, do not fear! I have already arranged for my esteemed colleague [name here] to play the date. I have given him all of the information which you gave to me, and he should be dropping off a demo in the next couple of days. His email address is [email address here] and his phone number is [phone here]. I am sure that you will be pleased with his playing!
I hope everything is going well with your wedding preparations and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience I have caused. Do not hesitate to contact me or [esteemed colleague] with any questions."

do you REALLY think i hadn't worried about who the hell was going to be the musician at my wedding? its been TWO MONTHS since you'd been in touch buddy, i was not just sitting around hoping for the best and eagerly awaiting your demo tape. so i wrote him and his esteemed colleague back and said "thanks for writing but we've secured someone else to play--thanks and have a great summer." i was probably too nice, but oh well.

this guy has obviously never played at a wedding before or he'd know that not being in touch with the bride for two months and only then getting in touch 6 weeks before the event means you probably aren't going to have a gig or get paid. no worries--we never paid him a deposit...

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Ooh, I know! You should totally ask him if he is looking for a job!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger towwas said...

That's funny. Clearly a kid who had never been anywhere around a person planning a wedding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home