G-dog speaks

Thursday, February 23, 2006

eBay is the bomb

Oh my goodness I'm in love with eBay (this isn't a new thing, its just one that I'm now vocalizing). In one day, I managed to sell two place settings of sterling silver from my first marriage. How kick ass! I had two settings, both brand new, still in their original packaging and never been opened (Have I mentioned that the marriage was VERY short?). I also had a brand new pastry server and an opened, but I believe unused, cold meat fork (when the hell would I have used a cold meat fork in my 9 months of marriage?!?!). The settings (each four piece) were selling for $125 at this cool store that you can register at (www.michaelfina.com) so i put one of the settings up on eBay on Monday afternoon with a "buy it now" option of $100 and a woman bought it for $100 less than 24 hours later. ROCK ON. When talking with her about shipping, I asked her if she had any interest in the second setting I had--if she did, I could just sell it to her and not have to pay eBay fees to list that one. She did want it so I managed to get rid of both settings for $100 each. AND, she's going to buy the pastry server and the meat fork for another $100 so because of eBay, I am now $300 richer minus a couple bucks for the eBay and PayPal fees. That's half the cost of the DJ for my June wedding!

So now I need to figure out how to get rid of my custom made platinum wedding ring from my first marriage that's currently just sitting in our safe doing nothing...I tried to sell it to a jeweler but I was told by them that most jewelers don't have a license to buy things, only sell, so thats why pawn shops do a good business. I also have the small problem of needing to get the diamond out of the ring since its a family heirloom and the cost of the custom design and making of the ring didn't include the diamond since I provided it. HMMMMM. Ideas anyone?

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

That's awesome! I am such a big fan of decluttering and making cash at the same time. I really want to sell all of LM's baby crap but I am afraid some cosmic being with a mean sense of humor will provide me with an oops baby the very second the last item goes. I guess the stuff will just continue to sit in storage.

As for the ring, can't a jeweler remove the diamond? Then you could sell the setting on any one of many auction sites.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger towwas said...

I like the idea of decluttering in theory, but in practice, I like my stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home